Several users are reporting temporary problems loading GMail. The typical symptom is that it hangs before the "loading" progress bar reaches 100%, and the user needs to switch to plain HTML mode or re-load multiple times to see their inbox.
Now, the annoying thing about this problem is that it keeps happening to users but I have never been able to reproduce it myself. We really need to get to the bottom of this, and it seems we really need some help to get there!
As-is, I don't have any real clue to what the problem is. My best guess is that some request doesn't complete or some event isn't sent. Hence, I've prepared a user script – gmail-log.js – that logs XHR requests and important events to the error console when you load GMail.
So, if you are a reasonable computer-literate end user who is currently experiencing this ghostly GMail loading problem, here's how you can help:
- Save that script to your computer
- Open the Error Console and clear any existing content
- Load GMail (confirm that you want to run User JS on HTTPS when the dialog appears). If you see the problem, then..
- Copy the error console contents (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and send me by PM or E-mail.
- Disable the user script again (it will slow GMail down a little bit, so no point in keeping it active)
- Please leave a comment on this blog saying that you've done so. With some luck, 5-10 people submitting logs would give us some interesting clues..
If you're not sure how to do some of that, I suggest you wait a few days and see if enough people contribute 🙂
Note: while this script does not intend to capture any personal information, I can not guarantee that the log won't contain session IDs or E-mail data. I suggest you don't post it in public.
Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this!